Sunday, July 21, 2002

Ender Will Save Us All
by Dashboard Confessional

It's just like you to contest
you wear it like a label on your breast
don't you see what this takes of me?
A certain callousness complies
with your charm & in your pride
a hopeful look draped in despise.


I want to give you
whatever you need.
What is it you need?
Is it what I need?
I want to give you
whatever you need.
What is is you need?
Is it within me?


It's hard to explain how I am getting by
on so little from you.
It's hard to believe that I would let myself
get so wrapped in you.
There's got to be something that would
be worthwhile for me to give to you.
We need a connection but you
seem to push me far away from you.


The harder I push the further I fall.
Well you don't mind me being headstrong.
But you don't want to sing along.
Maybe it's trite but I can always be wrong
Try not to be wrong.

What
Brendan Benson

What are you trying to do to me?
I closed my eyes, I don't want to see
I don't to hear about you and him
I just want to know if it's love that you're in

'Cause you can't possibly be serious about him girl
And he's got to be delirious if he thinks he can win

With a not-so-pretty face
He's come to take my place
She's easily amused
And I know 'cause she fell for the same tricks
I once used


The things you say and the things you do
I've added them up and they don't compute
I give you an inch and you take a mile
You can't say no 'cause it ain't your style girl

And it's obvious to me that he thinks he's gonna score
But it's not the case, you say you're only friends and nothing more

But it makes perfect sense
And I speak from experience
She's easy to persuade
She's a piece of cake he thinks he's got her made


You said goodbye to him a long, long time ago
You changed your mind I guess
But you never let me know
You keep me guessing
I'm always guessing wrong, always wrong


With a not-so-pretty face
And a poorly thrown ceramic vase
It makes perfect sense
And I speak from experience
She's easily confused



Eventually
Brendan Benson

In her past there's lots of people
I know them by their names

Some of them rushed by like water
Some of them were flames

Each and all knew a different girl
Someone I've never met
They went with her to parties
Good times she'll not forget


And here I come with empty hands
Ready to receive
And I just hope she doesn't change
Her mind and want to leave

Please, you got to stay with me
Things will get better eventually
So girl stick it out with me
I feel a change coming over me

I came 'long at a time when she
Had offers left and right
I gave her all I had to give
All my best insight

Now she sees the uselessness
The nonsense of it all
She understands the ways of men
Kicking in the stall

I've got the feeling I did harm
No good there have I done
I see her in the shit that once was mine
Of which she asked for none

And sometimes when I look at her
I see a different girl
I wonder what she's thinking
And if she's not part of my world


Pleasure Seeker
Brendan Benson

Drip drip drip drip outside my window
A head full of zip sleeps on my pillow
And it must be a phase that I'm in
'Cause I can't explain to begin
Could be a permanent thing
But it feels like a meaningless fling


The man in the pink, such a mild-mannered fellow
He gave me a wink and a good-natured hello
Lately I'm tired all the time
Guilty of the worst kind of crime
A game I can't possibly win
When I keep getting kicked in the shin

I'm just so far gone
I don't know what planet I'm on
I wanna come down
Taken it hard for so long
I don't know what's right or what's wrong with me

I'm coming down

(Such a funny creature)
When I drink I feel mellow
And if I think I'm Saul Bellow
And lately I do as I please
Don't much care for who disagrees
Could be a permanent thing
Feels like a meaningless fling

And they say that I'm just a pleasure seeker



No comments:

Post a Comment