Tuesday, October 19, 2004

I Wish That I Was Beautiful For You


I wish that I was beautiful for you
I wish that I inspired tiny fireworks inside the way you do
So delicately made
A prayer left un-prayed
Before the morning sun fades up to blue
And I wish that I was beautiful for you

I wish that I could change things with a pill
For a quick fix modern tonic that would change me with one swallow I would kill
Watch folks line up to pay
To stare at me all day
But I’d turn them all away if that be thy will
One tiny little innocuous pill

But a wish is just a pin in a swimming pool of needles
If for one night you need the room I wish to be your tomb
You can lie in me

It’s possible I have other things you need
But to be worthy of a single page out of one of those magazines you need
As glossy as a mirror
And mirrors never lie
They’re difficult on the eye it’s true
And I wish that I was beautiful for you

I dreamed that we were travelling on a bus
Speeding along an un-named plain between somewhere and nowhere there was us
We came to a stretch of road where a fire
Had burned the edges all along it looked as though the highway wore eyeliner
You kissed me by surprise
But when I opened my eyes
You’d turned into some old guy
I screamed
But don’t forget of all these things I only dreamed

Darren Hanlon

No comments:

Post a Comment