Monday, November 08, 2010

darren hanlon




I Wish That I Was Beautiful For You

I wish that I was beautiful for you
I wish that I inspired tiny fireworks inside the way you do
So delicately made
A prayer left unprayed
Before the morning sky fades
Up to blue
And I wish that I was beautiful for you

I wish that somehow I could find a pill
For a quick fix modern tonic that would change me with one swallow I would
kill

Watch folks line up to pay
Stare at me all day
But I'd turn them all away
If that be thy will
One tiny little innocuous pill

But a wish is just a pin
In a swimming pool of needles
If for one night you need the room
I wish to be your tomb
You can lie in me

Is it possible I've other things you need
But to be worthy of a single page out of one of those magazines you read
As glossy as a mirror
But mirrors never lie
They're difficult on the eye
It's true
And I wish that I was beautiful for you

I dreamed that we were travelling on a bus
Speeding along an unnamed plain towards somewhere and nowhere there was us
Our hands lay useless in our laps
Like beetles on their backs

We came to a stretch of road where a fire
Had burned the edges all along it looked as though the highway wore eyeliner
You kissed me by surprise
When I opened my eyes
You'd turned into some old guy
I screamed
But don't forget of all these things I've only dreamed

If for one night you need the room
I will be your tomb
You can lie in me
have you heard darren hanlon? do you own a record of his? have you been to one of his shows? if the answer to any of those questions is no, could you please rectify that now?

i'll wait

i hate saying something is my favourite, it makes it seem so final. darren hanlon is definitely one of my favourite singers/songwriters ever. ever ever. his lyrics are sweet and funny and clever, which are also great words to describe him. he has been nothing but sweet each time i've met him, and once allowed the boys to come to a soundcheck so that they could see him play. then he played a song just for e, while x helped bree set up her drums. they both still talk about it now. darren has invited the kids along to his christmas show this year too. he is just so lovely, and his songs are amazing.

please listen

No comments:

Post a Comment